What You Need To Know:
Off-gassing is the process that occurs when a chemical ingredient of a product or compound is released into the air we breathe. This occurs with the chemicals in the household products that we use as well as the materials are homes are made with. The gases that are omitted are hazardous air pollutants and are considered hazardous to our health. Off-gassing releases volatile organic compounds or VOCs into the air which we then take into our lungs. They can trigger allergies or cause headaches, dizziness, or nausea.
How To Be Safe:
The best way to avoid these products is to look for product labels that read “VOC-free.” We’ve listed many of the common sources of VOCs found in just about everyone’ home. Although some of these materials and products are necessary, do your research in finding non-toxic or eco-friendly version when ever possible.
- Household Cleaners
- Dryer Sheets – made with synthetic fragrances and totally unnecessary
- Air Fresheners/Moth balls – try good old fashion boxes of baking soda
- Nail Polish Remover – available without acetone
- Paint – available in low VOCs options
- Flame Retardant products & Upholstered furniture
- Laser Printer/Photocopiers
Comprehensive list of non-toxic or safer alternatives household products